Denver Birth Injury Attorneys
Birth Trauma & Injuries in Colorado
The birth of your child should be one of the most joyous days of your life, but when something goes wrong, it can quickly turn into a traumatic experience. Unfortunately, thousands of infants are injured every year in the United States due to preventable medical errors and negligence.
If you or your child suffered a birth injury as a result of medical malpractice, neglect, or error, reach out to Boesen Law today to learn how our attorneys can help. Our team offers compassionate, personalized legal representation and an aggressive approach to litigation. We understand just how devastating it is to learn your child was harmed by a trusted medical provider—and we want to help you fight for the justice you and your family deserve.
Schedule a free, in-person consultation today; call (303) 327-9988 or contact us online.
What Is a Birth Injury?
A birth injury is any injury to an infant or birth mother that occurs during pregnancy or childbirth. Most often, birth injuries are the result of preventable medical errors or negligence.
Some of the most common birth injuries include:
- Cerebral Palsy: Cerebral palsy is a common motor disability that affects an individual’s muscle development, posture, balance, and motor abilities. It is commonly caused by brain damage resulting from oxygen deprivation immediately before or during birth.
- Brachial Plexus Injuries: The brachial plexus nerves are a bundle of nerves responsible for shoulder, arm, and hand movement. Sometimes during birth, doctors can pull, stretch, or tear these nerves, leading to a variety of injuries and conditions.
- Erb’s Palsy: Erb’s palsy is a condition in which the shoulder and arm muscles are weakened due to a shoulder injury. This often occurs when doctors pull or twist an infant’s head or neck during delivery or cause injury to the brachial plexus nerves.
- Cephalohematoma: Cephalohematoma is an injury in which blood collects between the scalp and skull (“hematoma” refers to blood pooling, and “cephalo” refers to the head). Infants can suffer cephalohematoma as a result of excess pressure on the head during childbirth.
- Facial Paralysis: Facial paralysis can occur when an infant’s facial nerve is injured during childbirth, often as a result of a doctor misusing forceps or other assistive birthing devices. This often results in drooping and loss of movement in one side of the face.
- Broken Bones: Bone fractures are a relatively common type of birth injury, often occurring as a result of doctors placing too much pressure on infants during delivery. Common infant bone fractures include broken collarbones and femurs.
- Oxygen Deprivation: All types of oxygen deprivation—including anoxia, hypoxia, and asphyxia—can have serious or even fatal consequences. Infants may experience permanent, irreversible brain damage, as well as other related conditions such as cerebral palsy
Birth Injuries to Mothers
Birth injuries do not only occur to infants; mothers can also be seriously injured as a result of medical negligence or error during pregnancy or childbirth.
Some examples of birth injuries to mothers include:
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Uterine rupture
- Untreated infections
- Vaginal tears
In some cases, these injuries may be fatal. If you were injured or if your loved one died during childbirth due to a preventable medical error, Boesen Law can help you seek justice and the fair compensation you and your family are owed.
How Do Birth Injuries Happen & Who Is Liable?
Birth injuries should never occur. Doctors, nurses, midwives, obstetricians, hospitals, and other medical providers have a responsibility to provide patients with an acceptable standard of care. Unfortunately, some medical professionals and facilities fall short, leading to devastating injuries and life-threatening complications.
Birth injuries often result from the following:
- Failure to diagnose/treat maternal infections
- Failure to diagnose/treat preeclampsia
- Medication mistakes during pregnancy or birth
- Spinal epidural errors
- Failure to monitor the infant and/or mother
- Failure to detect signs of fetal distress
- Improper response to signs of fetal distress
- Prolonged labor
- Failure to order a timely cesarean section (C-section)
- Poor communication between medical providers
- Failure to recognize breech presentation
- Poor or inadequate aftercare/follow-up care
When a birth injury results from a medical provider’s failure to uphold the accepted standard of care, injured victims or their parents, guardians, or loved ones have the right to take legal action. Depending on the specific details of your situation, the medical professional who made the mistake could be directly liable, or you could have a case against the hospital or facility where the error occurred.
Our Denver birth injury lawyers know how to thoroughly investigate claims, and we often work with medical professionals and expert witnesses who provide testimony on behalf of our clients. We work tirelessly to build the strongest possible case on your behalf so that you and your family can recover the monetary resources you need to heal.
Dedicated to You & Your Family
We know that the consequences of a birth injury can be devastating. We also know that you want to make sure your child gets the best possible care so that he or she can live a full and meaningful life.
At Boesen Law, we fight to maximize our clients’ recoveries, seeking the best possible settlements for injured children and their families. As a parent, you have options, and our Denver birth injury attorneys can help. There is absolutely no cost to you when you hire our firm until we recover compensation for you. If the liable party is not willing to settle your case, we are fully prepared to advocate for you at trial.
Call (303) 327-9988 or submit an online contact form to request your free, in-person consultation. We offer legal services in English, Russian or Spanish.
our experience is the differenceOur Client's Share Their Stories
“They were attentive and responsive, and they got me the results I was expecting. I recommend Boesen Law for your bodily injury claims!”- Joshanna H.
“Jason is not just a paralegal, he is a friend and brother. Dennis Walker is not just a fantastic attorney, he is a loving, considerate, patient fighter of human rights. I will be grateful for Boesen Law until I die. Thank you, I shake as I write this. You ”- Jessica S.
“When needed legal support, they were fully committed to my case. My legal representatives had my back, they were easy to reach, and always responded to my questions/concerns within 24 hours.”- Veronica N.